1. to be on the phone: to be using the phone or having a conversation on the phone
- She cannot talk right now because she is on the phone.
- I couldn't talk to him because I was on the phone with an important client when he came.
- I met my old friend from high school last week.
- We are old friends.
- I caught up with my old friend last night. We hadn't seen each other in over 20 years, so we had a lot to talk about.
- I will meet Sally tomorrow. We haven't seen each other in a long time, so I want to catch up with her.